Category: World News

North Korea Might Be Out To Test New Technology Once Again

The People’s Republic of Korea in North Korea had announced plans that it would launch satellites sometime in February. The nation even issued warnings where the boost stages of rockets might plummet back to the surface.

Japan threatened the nation and said it would shoot down the rocket if it flies towards Japanese airspace. The US had also condemned the new escalation on North Korea’s attempt to bring up a satellite.

According to them:

“This act would violate numerous Security Council resolutions by utilizing proscribed ballistic missile technology,” said US State Department Spokesman John Kirby.

Last year, North Korea had scheduled nuclear tests, showing its defiance against UN Security Council resolutions.

According to intelligence collected by the South Korean Military, the North Korean western coast will be the starting point of the latest version of North Korea’s Kwangmyongsong (Bright Star) Satellite series. It would also help test its Unha (Galaxy) Rockets, which has new modifications that would guarantee better chances of success than its previous satellite launch attempt in the previous years.

A month ago, North Korea has also been the centre of military attention as it claimed to have detonated a thermonuclear bomb.

The first satellite from North Korea aimed to track crop production in the country. The experiment failed in December 2012.

North Korea May Have Accomplished Nuclear Test Following “Artificial Earthquake”

According to South Korean, US, Chinese and European agencies, seismic activity close to North Korea’s nuclear testing site is consistent with its fourth nuclear test.

The US Geological Service said the 5.1 magnitude quake on Wednesday in Punggye-ri may have been caused by the north’s nuclear tests announced previously. The South Korean Meteorological Administration said they suspect a “man-made” earthquake. The Administration is currently analysing the epicentre of the quake.

Meanwhile, North Korea state radio said the North Korean government is to make “an important announcement” following the artificial earthquake.

The European Mediterranean Seismological Centre said it detected unusual seismic activity in North Korea but couldn’t verify if North Korea had conducted a fourth nuclear test.

The Chinese Earthquake centre said it detected a possible explosion in North Korea at “zero kilometres with a magnitude 4.9 quake”.

The last North Korean nuclear test was in 2013. China, a close ally of North Korea, had increasingly grown strained of their relationship due to North Korea’s persistence in improving its nuclear armament. It had condemned the 2013 nuclear test.

Many suspect the explosion to be nuclear in nature as the 2013 nuclear test had a 5.1 magnitude quake, synonymous with 2016’s quake in the same location.

Paris Attacks Were Planned For 11 Months

Belgian intelligence services said Abdelhamid Abaaoud’s plan to assault Paris last Friday they planned for almost a year before the terror leader revealed himself and killed 129 people in separate waves of attacks in the capital.

Abaaoud was killed by a police raid in their hideout in a Saint-Denis apartment where he and other jihadist members planned another wave of attacks, ending their mission for the Islamic State militants.

After the shootout, authorities arrested eight perpetrators and found the body of a female suicide bomber and another mutilated body detonated after the explosion.

French intelligence confirms that Abaaoud was involved in four other terrorist plots in France since spring. According to French Interior Minister Bernard Cazenueve, Europe needs more intelligence sharing.

Gaping Holes In Europe’s Borders

Some members of the party that attacked Paris last Friday were originally from France. One of the militants travelled to Syria from his hometown in France and returned despite his passport having been confiscated and he is under surveillance.

Abaaoud had travelled across Islamic State to Europe at different times, including an attack plot in Belgium last January.

The incident had brought to light the immense inability of security services to simultaneously monitor large groups of European Muslims who had fought once for the Islamic State or even spot possible terrorist attacks at present.

Thousands of Britons Stuck in Sinai Resort May Be Stuck By New Suspension

Egyptian authorities had intercepted EasyJet’s flights from Sharm el-Sheikh to the United Kingdom after approval from the UK government to retrieve all UK holidaymakers from the resort back to the United Kingdom by the end of Friday.

UK transport secretary Patrick McLoughlin, who was hopeful the issue would be resolved by Friday, did not comment on the suspension of British flights.

EasyJet said on its website that “high level political talks” are on-going to resolve the hold-up, much to the dismay of 3,500 Britons stranded in the resort for days following the A321M crash.

Hand-Carry Luggages Only

As everyone remained confused, EasyJet said it was moving according to orders of both governments. It had also advised that passengers are only allowed to carry hand-carry luggage. Large baggage need to wait seven to 10 days as the UK government will sweep the luggage for the possibility of bombs.

Staff at the resort said the United Kingdom had once complained about the resort’s lack of security as it asked a tightening of security procedure. This has contributed to the slowdown of admitting holidaymakers to and from the resort.

According to some passengers, the security didn’t look similar to when they arrived as the employees were lax in checking their luggage.

Sweden Shaken By Violent School Attack

The country of Sweden watched the evening news as shock came after a student, dressed for Halloween wielding a sword, killed a teacher and a student. Investigators claim the attack may have political roots.

trollhattan school attack

School attacks in Sweden are rare. The entire country watched the events in Trollhattan with impending worry as school attacks in the country were rare.

Halloween Scare

Investigator Thord Haraldsson said the attacker had a “racist motive” they are looking into for verification.

The 21-year-old attacker posed for a photograph that he posted in social media before he went on his rampage.

According to Swedish media, the attacker, who has yet to be named by the police, the suspect’s social media accounts suggested his heavy interest in Hitler, Nazi Germany and his hostility towards other races, particularly Islam and immigration.

Students were immediately attacked after the assailant stabbed a teacher.

Police arrived about 10:10PM local time before they gunned down the attacker in the class hallways.

A Black Day For Sweden

Shocked Swedish arrived with frowns and tears to the school offering their respects, lighting candles and bringing flowers for the teacher and student who died of multiple stab wounds. A 15-year-old and 41-year-old teacher remain in a serious condition in the hospital.

Swedish Prime Minister King Carl Gustaf said he was “in shock” and he learned the events in Trollhattan “with great dismay and sorrow”.

Father Of Two Syrian Toddlers Washed Up On The Beach Describes His Emotions

Turkish Media had found the father of three-year-old Aylan and his big brother Galip whose bodies were washed ashore during an attempt to reach the Greek island of Kos from Turkish beaches in a boat.

Abdullah Kurdi spoke to the local Dogan News Agency and described his devastation after his children slipped from his hands. He said he paid human traffickers twice to cross him and his children over to Kos. Two failed efforts failed to start the run.

Kurdi said coastguards captured them at sea and released them. During the second attempt, the traffickers failed to bring their boats. However, when they set sail, the boat filled with water and capsized. He held on to his wife but his children slipped from his hands.

He said he heard his childrens’ voices and his wife. He tried to swim to the beach by following the lights. He looked for his children and wife and did not think they died. However, when he arrived in their meeting point at Bodrum he realised that they did not make it.

The Syrian refugee crisis is the biggest problem the EU faces. German Chancellor Angela Merkel said it was a bigger challenge than the Greek Debt Crisis where the failure of the Euro could devastate the entire nation.

Islamic State Bombs Houthis’ Stronghold

Islamic State is reported to have used car bombs to injure at least 50 people, with some killed, near the mosques and the headquarters of Yemen’s Houthi Group in Sanaa on Wednesday.

Four blasts were heard in the capital. Saudi forces conducted air strikes against the Houthi military bases in Yemen.

According to peace talk delegates in Switzerland, there was no progress on the second day of a UN-sponsored push to create a truce.

Witnesses said that the explosions sounded like air strikes. Some found cars and people screaming after the explosions.

The Islamic State used its social media accounts to state that they were responsible for the attacks. It was one of the most serious Yemen has faced throughout the years.

Suicide bombers from the IS had also killed at least 137 worshippers and wounded during Friday prayers on March 20 this year.

The IS had increased its Yemen presence as the al-Qaeda and other militant groups were overshadowed by it.

AQAP, a Sunni militant group, faces dissolution as a US strike drone had killed their leader Nasser al-Wuhayshi.

Meanwhile, Houthi fighters have destroyed the home of a Senior Politician Abdel-Aziz Jubai as he attended the Geneva talks as part of the exiled Yemen government.

North Korean Missile Launch Photos Modified By Government According to US Official

The North Korean Submarine missile launch Photograph was modified according to US Admiral James Winnefeld of the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.\

North Korea said that on May 9, it had successfully conducted an underwater test-fire of a submarine-launched ballistic missile. However, due to the fact the photograph was manipulated, Admiral Winnefeld said that they have not gotten as far as their video editors would have the US believe.

Along with Winnefeld, German Aerospace Engineers Markus Schiller and Robert Schmucker of Schmucker Technologie supported the manipulation angle.

According to the two, the photos of the launch were heavily modified which included the reflections of the missile exhaust flame that did not line up with the missile itself.

However, South Korea continues to believe the photos are authentic and that the missile had been launched from the submarine itself.

South Korea has a record of providing fraudulent evidence for advancements in military technologies.

France Passes New Surveillance Law Post-Charlie Hebdo Attacks

A sweeping vote for fresh French Surveillance Powers in the wake of Charlie Hebdo Terrorist attacks in Paris in January had hit the French Parliament. The new bill allows intelligence agencies to tap phones and emails without having to get permission from a judge.

The new bill was not met with resistance from human rights groups. They said it would legalise intrusive and illicit surveillance methods that may or may not be used in a lawful manner.

Civil liberties groups continue their campaign using George Orwell’s 1984 as their reference. Under the banner “24 hours before 1984”, it gives reference to the all-knowing dystopian dictatorship.

Amnesty International had warned of “extremely large and intrusive powers” without judicial controls.

According to green and hard-left MPs, the Socialist and rightwing parties said the new law was essential to stopping the possibility of another terrorist attack in French soil.

The legal powers included in the new bill allows the spying on digital and mobile phone communications of anyone linked to a “terrorist” inquiry. Intelligence services can install cameras, recording devices and keylogging devices that record every key stroke on targeted computers in real time.

Authorities could keep information for five years.

Kenyan Attacker Was Official’s Son

According to Kenya’s Interior Ministry, one of the four gunmen who had murdered 148 people in a college in Kenya the last week was the son of a Kenyan government official.

The officials said on Sunday that the gunman was killed by Kenyan security forces during the attack at the university campus as Abdirahim Abdullahi. His father was an official in Kenya’s Mandera district.

The Official reported his son had been missing last year, only to resurface as an attacker in the incident.

He was reported to have studied law at Kenya’s Nairobi University. He was a top student according to the Interior Ministry Spokesperson Mwenda Njoka. The man then disappeared without a trace from his friends and family.

“The family told us that he became withdrawn and very critical of everything and everyone,” Mr. Njoka said. “The family is Muslim, but Abdirahim criticized them about how they behaved and worshipped. At first, the parents thought he was just being a typical teenager, until he disappeared.”

Kenyan Islamic Radicalism is on the rise and were drawn into training camps in Somalia. They are given promises of a meaningful life in Kenya’s notorious Islamic extremist group al-Shabaab, which had previously pledged to al-Qaeda its loyalty.

Kenyan authorities supect that militants from Somalia who infiltrated the Somali communities were largely responsible for the massacre.